Sunday, the day of
rest prep. That means time for this girl to sit down, meal plan for the week, and make a grocery list.
Every Monday in the Kokx-Christensen household is Meatless Monday.
- Because we like eating plants.
- It keeps me on my cooking-toes and makes me try new things
I make sure to still have a source of protein in the meal, usually some sort of bean or meat alternative. One of my favorite dishes has become black bean tacos. Super simple. Super flavorful. And, I usually make it a bit different each time, which keeps it interesting.
For this recipe I added in come cubed sweet potatoes, served them in crunchy taco shells, and whipped up a little avocado crema.
This recipe serves 2. Each serving is for 3 tacos. I grilled a little bit of zucchini to go on the side. Savoring the last little bit of summer produce while I can!
Black Bean & Sweet Potato Tacos with Avocado Crema
Yield: 2, 3 taco servings
Total time: ~30 minutes
- 1-2 tsp EVOO
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed & drained
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 2-3 tsp taco seasoning*
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- 6 crunchy taco shells
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- ½ avocado
- 1 Tbsp fat-free mayo
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp time zest (optional, but strongly encouraged)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped chives (optional)
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add sweet potatoes and red onion, sauté.
- When sweet potatoes soften, add in corn and black beans. Cook for ~3 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning to skillet, being sure to distribute evenly.
- In a small bowl mash avocado. Add mayo, lime juice, lime zest and mix until there are no lumps.
- Fill taco shells with lettuce and bean mixture, topping with diced tomato, avocado crema, and sprinkle with chives and cilantro.
Nutrition Information per 3 tacos 397 calories, 13.5g fat, 11.35g protein, 52.75g carbohydrates, 13g dietary fiber
*for the taco seasoning, I used a mix of ½ tbsp chili powder, ~1/3 tbsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp dried oregano, ½ tsp paprika, 1 tsp cumin, and a dash of salt and pepper
Joe topped his with Sriracha… like he does most foods… Not me. I like to be able to feel my lips.