I love Mexican food for a lot of reasons. It’s super flavorful, always has so many pretty colors, and you can really load on the veggies. But, you do have to be careful of cooking methods, as some dishes can have loads of fat.
That’s where I come in with this recipe.
I’ve been working on my tostada game for the past 3 days. Meaning this recipe has been refined three times to perfection and that I am probably going to turn into an actual tostada at some point….. No regrets. I could (and have been) eating these every night with no complaints.
I threw the chicken in the fridge with the diet Dr. Pepper before heading to work so it had plenty of time to bathe. They took me about 20 minutes to cook & assemble in the evening, start to finish.
This recipe makes 4 tostadas. In my household this served 2 people. I have broken the nutrition info down per tostada, in case your appetite isn’t as rampant as mine. After 2 of these paired with steamed broccoli I was stuffed.
Dr. Pepper Chicken Tostadas
Yield: 4 tostadas
- ½ lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 1 can Diet Dr. Pepper (divided)
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder (divided; ½tsp & ½ tsp)
- 1 tsp Paprika (divided; ½tsp & ½ tsp)
- 1 tsp Cumin (divided; ½tsp & ½ tsp)
- ½ Cup Pinto beans
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk beverage of choice (I used unsweetened cashew)
- 1.5 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ avocado
- ½ lime
- Marinate chicken in ½ can diet Dr. Pepper for at least 1 hour, covered in the refrigerator.
- Once marinated, in a sauce pan combine remaining ½ can of Dr. Pepper, chili powder, ½ tsp each of garlic powder, paprika, and cumin. Add chicken to Dr. Pepper liquid and then add water to cover chicken. Cover with a lid and boil chicken for ~15 minutes, until chicken shreds with a fork.
- In a small pan combine pinto beans, milk, salt, and remaining ½ tsp of each spice. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Beans should now be soft enough to mash with a fork, do so until completely mashed. Continue to simmer until liquid has been reduced by half and you have the consistency of paste.
- To assemble tostadas: spread beans among 4 tostadas, top with lettuce, chicken, tomatoes, and avocado. Squeeze lime juice over tostadas and add lime zest as desired (about 1-2 tsp)
- Serve warm
Nutrition Information Per Tostada: 215 calories, 7g fat, 21g carbohydrate, 14.5g protein
The tostada train isn’t stopping here…. I’ll be bringing it on over the breakfast this weekend… Stay tuned!