I hate wimpy salads. You need more then lettuce, some veggie toppings, and dressing for a good meal. Let me introduce you to my friends called “food groups”, share the love.
Whenever I make salads for dinner I also have to remember that I am feeding a 6’2” male that burns through calories about as quickly as he eats them, meaning there has got to be some sustenance to it. If you are in the same boat as me I have created this recipe to make both parts of the couple equation happy.
Grilled Steak & Parmesan Quinoa Salad
Yield: 2 servings
- 1/2 lb sirloin steak, lean
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup quinoa, dry
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat stove top grill, spraying with non-stick spray. Season steak with salt and pepper. Grill for ~4-5 minutes on each side, until desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Begin making balsamic reduction by simmering vinegar and 1 tsp sugar for ~5-10 minutes. Reduction should be reduce by about 1/2 volume and be slightly thick.
- Once steak is done let rest and begin grilling zucchini and onions, flipping when grill marks begin to show.
- When quinoa is finished, add parmesan, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble salads with 2 cups lettuce each, splitting steak, veggies, and quinoa between them. Drizzle 1/2 balsamic vinegar onto each salad.
Nutrition information per salad: 395 calories, 9.4g protein, 44g carbohydrate, 37g protein