You’ve probably heard on this “superfood nutritional shake” but what exactly IS Shakeology and are there real food shakeology alternatives? Let’s find out!
What Is Shakeology?
Shakeology is a powdered nutrition supplement sold by beach body. It is a cross between a protein powder and a meal replacement shake. Beachbody highlights these 5 key pieces of Shakeology that make it #healthy. Which are….
- Protein blend
- Super-fruit/antioxidant blend
- Super-green/phytonutrient blend
- Adaptogen blend
- Pre and pro-biotic/digestive enzyme blend
The protein blend helps build strong muscles and also helps to keep you full and satisfied. The “Super fruit“/antioxidants? Well, “super fruit” is a buzz-word with no real definition. It tends to mean a food rich in nutrients. Antioxidants are important, though. They help cells stay healthy and reduce damage or weakening. The phytonutrients are compounds found in plants that are thought to provide health benefits to the body, but we don’t have actual recommendations for these. Adaptogens are thought to aide int he body’s stress response and adaptability. Scientific evidence for these are slim, so I’d be careful. And, lastly, the pre and pro-biotics/digestive enzymes keep your gut healthy and give your tummy a good environment to digest food.
Shakeology also provides some fiber as well as vitamins & minerals.
Do You Need Shakeology Alternatives?
So, nothing in Shakeology is BAD, per se. I’m not going to tell you not to drink it because it’s inherently bad for you, because it isn’t. BUT, it’s not necessary and you can find real whole food alternatives to Shakeology that are more affordable than the $4.83 per serving powder.
I’m not going to get into the whole MLM, diet culture ridden aspect of Shakeo (as the cool kids call it). I think we all know my stance on that…it’s HORRID. We’re just talking pure nutrition here.
What Are Some Alternatives To Shakeology?
Some examples of real food alternatives to Shakeology are:
- Protein: Greek yogurt, beef jerky, protein powders, protein bars (KIND bars, Rx bars) cottage cheese, chicken, tofu, chocolate milk
- Super-fruit/antioxidants: Pomegranates, blueberries & berries (frozen is FINE!) red wine
- Super-green/phytonutrients: Blueberries, cocoa powder, kale
- Adaptogens: Maca powder
- Pre and pro-biotic/digestive enzymes: Bananas, Greek yogurt, garlic, asparagus, tempeh
- Fiber: Blueberries, fiber granola bars, protein bars
- Vitamins & Minerals: Fruits & veggies, multivitamin supplement
What are some Shakeology Alternative recipes?
Okay, so now that we’ve found some real food components to Shakeology, let’s combine them in ways that taste delish and pack a nutritional punch. You do NOT need to eat these all in one sitting just because Shakeology packs it into one serving. It’s totally fine to spread these ideas out throughout the day. Here are some Shakeology alternative combos:
- Parfait: Greek yogurt + pomegranate + crushed up fiber bar (or fiber cereal)
- Chicken & Kale Saute: Saute kale in a little oil and garlic, add in diced chicken. Serve over rice.
- Chocolate Covered Banana Smoothie: In a blender combine greek yogurt, chocolate milk, frozen banana, rice, and cocoa powder.
- Easy Green Smoothie: In a blender combine protein powder, kale, frozen blueberries, ice, and a splash of milk of choice.
Or, make your life even easier and simply grab a KIND or Rx bar as you run out the door! Super easy.
So, there you have it. You CAN find real food Shakeology alternatives. Now, Shakeology promotes drinking their shakes before mealtime to help “tide you over”. I think this is absolutely silly and bogus because:
- Hunger and a healthy appetite are GOOD
- It’s probably not the Shakeo, but that you’re drinking something that is helping “tame” the appetite
For this, guys, I just recommend staying hydrated and honoring your hunger when you feel it. If you don’t, well, your hunger will always catch up with you when you try to suppress it by silly means like this. It’s biology, not lack of willpower.
Let me know in the comments what you think of these Shakeology alternatives!
Bottom line: Shakeology is not “BAD”. If you like the taste and really, really want to drink it. I won’t tell you not to (minus supporting an MLM and diet culture) But that’s the beauty of No Food Rules. You have the right to do whatever the heck you want! But just know, there are real food shakeology alternatives that are way easier to obtain and way more affordable!
Happy food rule breaking!
Want more posts like this? You might like these: