If you follow me on instagram you most likely saw this picture that I posted of my New Years Eve adventures:
I know, I know, I am a wild child. Whatever.. I am a homebody and I have no shame. Plus I was on-call so I couldn’t get too far.
I have seen these cute little birds at the grocery store and have been wanting to try my hand at cooking one. A fancy last meal for 2016 finally gave me a reason to do it. I was intimidating, I am not going to lie. I was actually prepared to thaw something in the freezer if this didn’t turn out… Luckily, I didn’t have to do that.
I was so shocked at how simple cooking this little mini bird was, it took next to no effort- seriously. Don’t be intimidated to try your hand at this dish, it’s easy and sure to impress.
I will say too, it was a messy meal, lots of de-boning, but so worth it for a fun meal to shake things up. I’ll definitely be making this again!
Dutch Oven Cornish Hen Meal
- 1 cornish game hen
- 1/2 tsp each:
- -Garlic powder
- -Chili powder
- -Dried thyme
- 1 tsp EVOO divided
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 bag frozen veggie of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a dutch oven, set aside.
- Thaw hen according to packaged directions.
- Combine spices and rub 3/4 of spice blend on the inside cavity of the bird. Rub outside of bird with 1/2 tsp EVOO and rub remaining 1/4 spice mixture on the outside, into the oil. Place bird in the middle of the dutch oven.
- Wash, scrub, and largely chop sweet potatoes. In a large bowl toss with remaining 1/2 tsp EVOO and brown sugar. Place on one side of the bird.
- On the other side of the bird, place you frozen veggies.
- Bake the dutch oven covered for about 1 hr, and then uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
click To display nutrition info
I used this recipe from The Kitchen Whisperer as a base and modified. Fab!
Leave a Reply