I love buying big bunches of bananas, knowing I won’t eat them all, because it causes me to have a ton of baking-ready bananas in a week. That’s what happened this weekend (and I still have about 4 left…)
Usually I whip up a batch or two of my great grandmothers banana bread recipe, but thought I’d do something a little different this time. Enter this recipe.
While these (not-so) little guys taste like a cookie, they pack quite the nutritional punch since they are made with whole grain oats, bananas, and flaxseed.
Unfamiliar with flaxseeds? They are small, golden seeds with a nutty flavor that provide fiber, healthy fats, protein, several B vitamins, antioxidants and various minerals. Besides mixing into baked goods, I like to mix them in yogurt with a little cereal for extra crunch and flavor. Delish.
After making the dough for these cookies you will need about 45 minutes for them to chill in the freezer. Because the bananas replace a lot of the fat the dough is runnier, so this chilling helps to prevent them from turning into cookie dough puddles.
Banana-Flax Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 medium bananas mashed
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¼ cup mini-chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- Mash bananas thoroughly and beat in egg. Next, add in the brown sugar, butter, and vanilla until combined. The batter should be runny at this point.
- Add in dry ingredients (oats though salt), and mix for 1 minute.
- Fold in chocolate chips and flax seeds.
- Let dough chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove chilled dough and form into ~2tbsp balls, 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. (Should make 15 cookies)
- Return to freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
click To display nutrition info
Also, a warmed cookie pairs REALLY well with a little vanilla ice cream… Just saying….