Looking for an easy donut recipe to start your day AND give you some nourishing fuel? I’ve got you covered with this super easy baked whole wheat donuts recipe!
Why Baked Whole Wheat Donuts Are Great
I love making this baked donut recipe for so many reasons. Firstly, they’re so delicious! Secondly, they’re actually a really nourishing way to start your day… or to have as a snack or even dessert, too! They don’t taste like a “healthy” donut either! You know what I mean…. tasteless and kinda cardboard-y? Nope. Not these!
You can also get really creative with this wheat donut recipe! So, add in a drizzle of honey to make them honey wheat donuts. Or, fold in some blueberries for blueberry whole wheat donuts! Want a little burst of fun? Simply add some sprinkles into the mix for some funfetti baked donuts! The possibilities are endless with these!
How To Make These Easy Donuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a donut pan with non-stick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon & salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer combine egg, butter, sugar milk and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture to your egg mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Fill your prepared donut pan with your donut batter and bake for ~10 minutes.
- Donuts are done when they’re golden brown and a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- Allow donuts to cool fully before adding glaze, frosting or powdered sugar. Or, top with some of my fave 2 ingredient no added sugar blueberry jam!
Baked Whole Wheat Donut FAQ’s
Do I have to use whole wheat flour?
You can totally use all-purpose flour for these or gluten free flour to make these gluten free donuts. Using other flours like coconut or almond will adjust the amount of flour that you need. I found this great flour substitution instruction post you can use!
Can I make these dairy free donuts?
Of course! I’d recommend using shortening in place of the butter and you can use whatever milk alternative you like.
How do I make whole wheat glazed donuts?
To glaze these whole wheat donuts all you have to do is combine ~1 cup of powdered sugar with 2-4 tbsp of milk. Then, dip them right in! If you want a more thick, frosting like glaze start with 1-2 Tbsp first, then slowly add more until desired thickness.
Go ahead and give these baked whole wheat donuts a try! If you love them leave a comment and star rating. Don’t forget to also pin this recipe to your Pinterest board to save for later and share with your friends! They’ll love you for it!
Baked Whole Wheat Donuts
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer combine egg, sugar, milk, butter and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fill your prepared donut pan with your donut batter. This should make ~6 donuts.
- Bake for ~10-12 minutes or until donuts are golden brown and a toothpick when inserted comes out clean.
- Allow donuts to cool fully before if you deciding to frost, glaze, or rolling in powdered sugar.
click To display nutrition info
Want more recipes like this? You might like these!