My desire to turn on the oven for basically the past month has been zero. Firstly, because it’s been too freaking hot. Secondly, I ain’t got time for that. Solution? Southwest Grilled Tilapia Salad.
Like most of you, my summer has been crazy busy so far. We’re still working on a long list of projects for our not-so-new home and planning our wedding (T minus 2.5 months good God!) plus the usual things like work, seeing family, etc, etc. By the end of the day I. Am. Beat. So quick, easy, let’s-not-heat-up-the-house dinners are a must and this Southwest Grilled Tilapia Salad has been my rock for that.
These salads are filled with fresh flavor, yet only take minutes to whip together. Plus, did you know that it’s recommended to eat seafood twice a week? It’s got loads of nutrients, healthy fats, and is a great source of protein.
If you aren’t super into the tilapia idea, you could easily sub some grilled chicken or tofu as the protein source. I’m all about flexible recipes and doing what you like best.
If you’re days have been anything like mine this southwest grilled tilapia salad will be a LIFESAVER. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Southwest Grilled Tilapia Salads
- 2 Tilapia filets
- 1/2 tsp each- Chili & garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each- Cayenne powder & cumin
- 2/3 cup brown rice dry
- 1/2 of a lime
- 3 tbsp cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/4 sweet onion sliced
- 4 cups lettuce chopped
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/4 cup red onion sliced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill to medium high heat
- Combine spices and sprinkle onto tilapia filets
- Spray aluminum foil with non-stick spray, place each filet onto a piece of foil and fold to create a packet for each
- Skewer sweet onion slices onto a kebab stick
- Place both fish and onion onto grill for 10-15 minutes, turning onions halfway through
- Meanwhile, cook brown rice in a stovetop pot according to package directions, adding in juice from the lime. Stir in 2 tbsp cilantro when just about done cooking
- Assemble salads as follows: divide lettuce evenly and from left to right place one half of the following on each: Greek yogurt, avocado, sweet onion, red onion, rice, salsa, and ending with one full tilapia filet each. Top with remaining cilantro. Add a dash of salt and pepper if desired.
- Dig in!
click To display nutrition info
Looking for more ways to beat the heat and avoid the oven? Try these red white and blue fruit pops for dessert!
Leave a Reply