This creamy sweet banana oat porridge recipe is the best and most delicious served warm with a dash of cinnamon. Mashed banana porridge is easy to make for a quick breakfast rich in protein! Serve banana bread porridge with nuts, maple syrup, and fresh banana slices.
Why This Recipe Works
Mashed banana and oat porridge is a filling sweet breakfast recipe that is fitting for all ages. Creamy porridge with oats is easy to make on the stovetop within minutes with simple ingredients like vanilla extract, fresh banana, and creamy milk.
Enjoy banana oat porridge either warm or cold–both options are sweet, creamy, and so tasty. This porridge recipe tastes just like freshly baked banana bread with its aromatic qualities and flavors.
Porridge is great for those mornings when you just don’t have it in you to prepare a HUGE breakfast. What I love about preparing this porridge recipe is that it is so versatile and can be made with basically any type of milk and additional flavors–vanilla, almond extract, maple syrup, honey, etc.
- Banana: One ripened mashed banana provides natural sweet flavors and creamy textures to this porridge recipe. The banana is rich in potassium and is a great natural energy booster.
- Oats: Old-fashioned oats are simmered on the stovetop and cooked into a thick creamy texture that resembles oatmeal but a little thicker.
- Milk: You can use any kind of milk for this recipe such as dairy or dairy-free. I used 2% milk and the results were so creamy and amazing!
- Vanilla Extract: Rich vanilla extract provides natural aromatic notes that are stellar and so delicious with the sweet banana.
How to Make This Recipe
Step One: First, mash the banana with a potato masher until it is smooth and fully mashed.
Step Two: Next, add the mashed banana, oats, vanilla extract, and milk to a saucepan and bring everything to a rolling boil.
Reduce the heat to simmer and cook the banana oat porridge for three to five minutes until the texture thickens.
Step Three: Remove the porridge from the stovetop and top with your choice of toppings such as fresh fruit, chopped nuts, sweetener, coconut– you name it!
The oats should be enough to thicken the banana porridge, but a little bit of flour or cornstarch will also help thicken it.
If your porridge is too runny, then remove it from heat, add more liquid, return it back to heat, and stir until creamy smooth again.
Be sure to use milk in place of water and simmer the oats until thick and creamy.
Tips and Variations
- I have not used quick oats for this porridge recipe so I am unsure of how those will work!
- You can use either maple syrup or honey to sweeten the porridge. You can also use granulated white or brown sugars!
- Chopped pecans, almonds, or pistachios would be extra delicious mixed within the banana oat porridge.
- Top the porridge with additional fresh fruit such as berries, apple slices, kiwi, etc.
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to four days in the refrigerator. Porridge is great for meal prep because you can just grab it and go.
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below!
Don’t forget to pin it on your Pinterest board for later, or tag me on IG @no.food.rules if you try the recipe and love it!
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup milk I used 2%
- 1 banana very well mashed (use a ripe & spotty one!)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Mash banana until smooth.
- Add oats, milk, banana and vanilla extract to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for ~3-5 minutes until the oats thicken, whisking occasionally with a fork or whisk.
- Once most of the liquid is gone and your oats are thickened to your liking remove from the stove, top with any desired toppings and enjoy!
click To display nutrition info
Leave a Reply