With only 10 minutes of prep work this crockpot pumpkin turkey chili is a lifesaver for busy days! Packed with protein and veggies, it’s a meal that is sure to keep you full & satisfied. Cozy up with a bowl right from the crockpot or use it as meal prep for the week! It’s even freezer friendly!
Why This Recipe Works
I love making this crockpot pumpkin turkey chili because it’s truly a set-it-and-forget-it type of meal! You can throw everything into the crockpot and simply go about your day. I love recipes that are really hands off like this one and my Instant Pot taco pasta!
You can customize this recipe however you like and use up whatever veggies you have on hand. You can even use different protein sources, such as shredded chicken or ground beef. It’s a great way to reduce food waste!
This pumpkin turkey chili can also be adapted to be made in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop (see recipe FAQs for directions!)
- Chili seasoning: I usually use a chili packet for ease. My goal is to get around to making a big batch from scratch. If you’d prefer to do this you can use 2 tbsp of this chili seasoning recipe from a fellow registered dietitian!
- Ground Turkey: Like I mentioned earlier you can really sub any protein source here. You could easily use chicken or beef! You can even use an additional can of beans in place of the meat for a vegetarian option.
How To Make This Recipe
First, you’re going to want to chop up you celery, carrots and onion.
Add your chopped veggies to the crockpot followed by cans of pumpkin, tomatoes and chili beans.
Then, toss in your ground turkey followed by the chili seasoning and stock.
Give it a good stir, place the lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for ~4 hours.
When it’s done you can top with cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt or chives!
For sure! To make this pumpkin turkey chili no the stovetop you’re going to want to first brown your meat with a little olive oil in a pan.
Then, in a large stock pot add all of your ingredients, just like the crockpot directions. You’ll want to simmer this for ~30 minutes at least but the longer you do it the better, in my opinion! I’d shoot for closer to 60 minutes so the flavors can really mingle!
Absolutely! You’re going to want to set your Instant Pot to the sauté setting and brown your meat with a drizzle of EVOO, just like the stovetop instructions.
Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot. I’d recommend first adding stock so that you can deglaze the bottom of the pot if needed from browning the meat.
Set to pressure cook for 12 minutes and allow to naturally pressure release.
You can easily make this crockpot pumpkin turkey chili into a vegan recipe by swapping the ground meat for a can of beans and the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
If you’re going to eat it within about a week you can simply place it into a container and store it in the fridge.
If it will be longer than a week until you dig in I’d recommend freezing. To do this simply place in either air tight containers or a freezer bag and toss in the freezer! This will stay good for ~4-6 months.
Other Fall & Pumpkin Recipes:
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below!
Don’t forget to pin it on your Pinterest board for later, or tag me on IG @no.food.rules if you try the recipe and love it!
Crockpot Pumpkin Turkey Chili
- 3 medium to large carrots
- 3 stalks of celery
- 1 small onion
- 1 can of chili beans
- 1 can of pumpkin puree
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1 packet of chili seasoning *
- Peel and chop your carrots, celery & onions.
- Add veggies to the crockpot followed by cans of beans, pumpkin and tomatoes.
- Next, add turkey, chili seasoning and chicken stock.
- Mix it all up well and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Give it a taste test and adjust spices to your liking. Usually I might add a little more chili powder and garlic powder!
- Once cooked, top with cheese, greek yogurt/sour cream and chives if desired!
click To display nutrition info