This better than takeout Instant Pot chicken fried rice is a super easy and delicious one pot meal. It's packed with veggies and protein to give your body the nutrients it needs in a hurry! Perfect for a quick weeknight meal or meal prep!
Why This Recipe Works
When it comes to the end of the day I just want a big plate of comfort. But, I also don't necessarily want to be food coma-ed or hopped up on so much sodium that my ankles swell (real talk!). The solution? This Instant Pot chicken fried rice!
Not only does this recipe satisfy so many cravings (comfort food and nutrition) it's so freaking EASY! You can make it in the Instant Pot for a true one pot meal but you could also cook it on the stovetop if you're Instant Pot-less.
This chicken fried rice recipe is also WAY more affordable than getting take out. The ingredients are super simple which means you probably have them all on hand and can whip this meal up in a pinch!
Now whenever you ask "What should I make for dinner?" (or meal prep!) the answer will never be "I don't know". It's going to be Instant Pot chicken fried rice! You're welcome.
What You'll Need To Make This Recipe
- Chicken. I use chicken breast but you can also use chicken thighs for this fried rice. If you're not a fan of chicken or just want to use something else go for it! I've made this using ground beef, ground turkey, and shrimp. (see FAQs for full substitution how-to!)
- Veggies. I like to use just a bag of frozen mixed veggies but you can get as creative as you want here. Throw in some mini corn, water chestnuts, snow peas, etc for a super fancy vibe!
- Oil. You can use whatever oil you have on hand like vegetable oil or olive oil.
How To Make This Recipe
First, set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting on high.
Once the Instant Pot is hot, add olive oil, soy sauce, and chicken. Add in onion and garlic powders and a dash of salt and pepper if desired.
Cook chicken for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure all sides of chicken are cooked.
Add in frozen mixed veggies and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove chicken & veggies from the Instant pot, set aside.
Now, place 1 cup uncooked white rice + broth in the Instant Pot.
Pressure cook rice + water for 5 minutes and allow to pressure release for ~5 minutes.
Switch the Instant Pot back to the high sauté setting.
Add chicken and veggies back into the Instant Pot with the cooked rice and gently mix it up.
Crack 2 eggs into the Instant Pot and fold the rice mixture a few times, allowing the eggs to cook.
Now, serve up your Instant Pot chicken fried rice and enjoy! I like to add come green onions on top for a little extra pop of color!
No fear! All of the steps will be the same, but instead of the saute setting you'll use a large pan or wok over the stove. You'll want to cook your rice in a pot according to the package directions or you can use a rice cooker. I have this Dash mini rice cooker that I'm OBSESSED with! It's perfect for 2-4 people and doesn't take up a ton of space.
Totally! If you're using ground meat, like beef or turkey, you'll want to brown your meat in place of sautéing the chicken. This will take a shorter amount of time, closer to 5-7 minutes.
If you're using shrimp you'll want to leave this until you add the veggies to the rice since they only take a couple minutes to cook and you don't want to make them overcooked and super tough.
For tofu I'd recommend baking it separately and then folding it in at the end just like you would shrimp.
You sure can! You can use the tofu I mentioned about or you could add a fried or soft boiled egg on top. Be sure to checkout my air fryer boiled eggs recipe for how to make perfectly cooked soft boiled eggs!
This recipe will keep in the fridge for 5-7 days. Just pop it into an air tight container. If it'll be longer than that I recommend putting it in the freezer. A freezer bag works great for this recipe. This will keep for a couple of months.
If your rice starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, like it burns onto it, just add a touch of water (don't let it continue to burn!) and it should come right off.
Other Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like:
If you love this recipe be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and a comment below!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bag of mixed veggies
- 1 cup rice
- 1.25 cup broth (chicken or veggie will work)
- 2 eggs
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting on high.
- Once hot, add olive oil, soy sauce, and chicken. Add in onion and garlic powders and a dash of salt and pepper if desired.
- Cook chicken for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure all sides of chicken are cooked.
- Add in frozen mixed veggies and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken & veggies from the Instant pot, set aside.
- Now, place 1 cup uncooked white rice + 1.25 cups of broth in the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook rice + water for 5 minutes and allow to pressure release for ~5 minutes.
- Switch the Instant Pot back to the high sauté setting.
- Add chicken and veggies back into the Instant Pot with the cooked rice and stir.
- Crack 2 eggs into the instant pot and fold the rice mixture a few times, allowing the eggs to cook.
- Once eggs are cooked through, serve and enjoy!
If the rice sticks to the Instant Pot, add a drizzle of water and it will become unstuck!
Feel free to swap out the rice for brown rice or another grain.
May swap out protein source for any other meat or meat alternative.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 146mgSodium: 419mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g