There is never a wrong time to eat this banana slice cake. As a breakfast, as a banana birthday cake… fair game! Moist, delicious and with a light & creamy greek yogurt frosting this cake is a total crowd pleaser! You’d never know it’s packed with nutrition, too!
I tested this recipe so many times because I wanted to be sure it was banana-y enough. Ya know? I mean, I wanted a legit banana bread cake recipe! Kinda like my one bowl banana bread recipe, but cake. And, that’s what I got!
Is This Banana Slice Cake Healthy?
Since I am a registered dietitian one of the first questions I get asked is “Is this healthy?” Now, if you know me at all you know I don’t like to label foods as healthy or unhealthy… but… this cake IS super nutritious! here’s why:
- It’s packed with bananas
- Doesn’t use a ton of sugar (the bananas have so much sweetness!)
- Uses protein packed greek yogurt VS butter
- Is made with whole wheat flour (hello fiber!)
- Has a light and fluffy greek yogurt frosting (again, protein!)
Now, absolutely nothing wrong with a cake that uses butter, cream cheese frosting, etc. I love those, too. But sometime I like to challenge myself in the kitchen, put my dietitian AND bakers hats on and get to work on creating something magical. And this banana slice cake? it’s freakin’ MAGICAL! The best banana cake recipe easy, no contest! Best banana cake recipe in the world.
How To Make Best Ever Banana Slice Cake
This recipe is the best recipe for banana cake because it’s so easy. Fool proof, really! Let’s get into how to make banana cake:
- Combine all of your dry ingredients together (minus sugars) and set aside.
- You’ll also want to add the vinegar to your milk. This is going to make buttermilk. Let this set while you put the rest of cake together.
- Then, like any time you’re baking with bananas, ya gotta mash them! I use a potato masher.
- Add your eggs, sugars, greek yogurt, and vanilla. Mix well in a stand mixer or with electric beaters.
- Now, add in half of the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix. Then, add half of the buttermilk and mix. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk.
- Pour your cake into an 8×8 baking dish, lightly coated with non-stick spray and bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
How To Make Greek Yogurt Frosting
I like to top this recipe with an easy greek yogurt frosting. Here’s how to make that!
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment combine greek yogurt, powdered sugar, and coconut flour. Whisk well until it’s uniformly combines and there are no lumps.
- Allow this to sit in the fridge for about 1 hour before frosting and be sure the cake is completely cooled!
If you don’t have coconut flour don’t worry, you can make the frosting without it. I’d add some extra powdered sugar. The coconut flour helps to thicken the frosting, but extra powdered sugar will do the trick, too!
Greek Yogurt Banana Slice Cake FAQ’s
Do I have to use whole wheat flour?
Nope! You can totally use regular all-purpose flour or even gluten free flour for this moist banana cake. If you’re using other flours, like coconut or almond you may need to add a little extra.
Can I use regular cream cheese frosting?
Totally! If you want to use regular cream cheese frosting in place of the greek yogurt frosting on this banana bread cake recipe, go for it.
How do I store this?
I keep mine in the fridge. It will last about a week! That is, if the banana slice cake isn’t gone before then!
Give this super easy greek yogurt banana slice cake a try! Leave a comment and a star rating if you like this recipe!!! Can’t wait to hear what you have to say!
Greek Yogurt Banana Slice Cake
- 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 cups wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp nut meg
- 2 large bananas
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup greek yogurt plain or vanilla
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine vinegar with milk, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Mash bananas into a larger bowl. Add in yogurt, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Now, add 1/2 of the flour mixture to the banana mixture, mixing well. Then 1/2 of the buttermilk, mixing well. Repeat.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 35 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake in baking you can make the greek yogurt frosting. Simple combine the greek yogurt, powdered sugar and coconut flour into a bowl and whisk until well combined and is fluffy. Allow to sit in the fridge for ~1 hour while the cake bakes and cools.
- Once the cake is fully cooled frost the cake with your frosting.
click To display nutrition info
Want more recipes like this? You might like these!