This creamy no churn coffee crumble ice cream is the perfect summertime treat! Filled with intense coffee flavor, and loaded with bits of graham cracker, chopped cashews, and chocolate chips. Best part? No ice cream maker needed!
Why This Recipe Works
If you’re anything like me, you probably absolutely love ice cream! Creamy, sweet, and perfectly cold. Ice cream is a delicious and satisfying dessert any time of year, but it’s especially amazing in those super hot summer months!
This no-churn recipe for coffee crumble ice cream checks all the boxes when it comes to ice cream. But there is one thing that brings this recipe to the next level: up to 3 cups of delicious mix-ins!
This coffee crumble ice cream is loaded with bite sized pieces of graham crackers, chopped cashews, and adorable mini chocolate chips. Every bite is an adventure, and so many common cravings are satisfied at once: salty, sweet, creamy, crunchy, and cold.
Do you feel guilty about indulging in sweets? No need to worry because our bodies crave what they want when they want– no stress (and no guilt) needed. For more information on intuitive eating, check out my complete guide here: The Beginners Guide To Intuitive Eating. where I break everything down and tell you what you need to know about learning to trust your body.
- Heavy cream: This makes your ice cream ultra creamy and reduces the ice crystals that can form in recipes made with too much milk.
- Instant coffee: Hello! Coffee time! Instant coffee granules add the perfect intense coffee flavor with zero bitterness. You can use decaf coffee if you’re sensitive to caffeine.
- Sweetened condensed milk: This is the secret ingredient to all of my favorite no churn ice creams! Not only does it add a delicious creamy texture, but it adds just the right amount of sweetness!
- Milk: A little bit of milk helps give this coffee ice cream the perfect consistency!
- Vanilla extract: Everything is better with a touch of vanilla!
Then, for that authentic “loaded” coffee crumble ice cream experience, we add some goodies into the mix. You’ll need:
- Crushed graham crackers
- Chopped cashews
- Mini chocolate chips
How to Make This Recipe
Step One: Start off by warming your milk. I like to add it to a big bowl and stick it in the microwave for 1 minute.
Step Two: Add your instant coffee granules to the warm milk.
Step Three: Mix everything together super well, and then place it in the refrigerator until cooled completely.
Step Four: Add your heavy cream to the bowl of a stand mixer, OR a mixing bowl if you’re using an electric hand mixer.
Step Five: Whip your cream for 3 minutes, or until stiff peaks begin to form.
Step Six: Combine your chilled coffee and milk mixture with the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix until well blended.
Step Seven: Add the whipped cream to your coffee and condensed milk mixture.
Step Eight: Fold it in until completely uniform and smooth. This should take around 2-3 minutes at most. Just go slowly and gently so you don’t deflate the whipped cream too much!
Step Nine: Add your graham crackers, cashews, and chocolate chips to the bowl. Fold them in until everything is all mixed together and evenly distributed.
Step Ten: Pour your coffee crumble ice cream mixture into a container that holds at least 6 cups. I like to use a standard loaf pan, since I find that it freezes the most evenly that way!
Step Eleven: Top with additional crushed graham crackers, chopped cashews, and chocolate chips. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the freezer to chill.
Step Twelve: Once your no churn coffee crumble ice cream has chilled for a minimum of 8 hours, you’re ready to enjoy it! I like to let my ice cream sit at room temperature for ~5 minutes to make sure it softens a bit to scoop easily!
Frequently Asked Questions
The biggest difference is that churned ice cream uses an ice cream maker (or ice cream churn) to blend the ice cream together, while no churn does not. When you prepare a churned ice cream, you often just mix together the base and pour into the ice cream maker, while a no churn ice cream requires you to whip the heavy cream. Otherwise, both are delicious!
You may have added too much milk, or did not cover your ice cream tightly enough when freezing. For the best results, wrap several layers of plastic wrap around your freezing container, and wrap with an additional sheet of aluminum foil if you’ll be storing your ice cream for longer than 1 week.
Absolutely! If you have an ice cream maker, just ensure that you have frozen the inner bowl for long enough. Then, once you’re ready, stir together the ingredients (do not whip the heavy cream) and add them to your ice cream maker. Keep an eye on the consistency as the ice cream churns, as you may need to add a little more sweetened condensed milk to get a smooth texture.
While coffee ice cream has a tiny bit of caffeine, it shouldn’t be enough to keep you awake! If you’re very sensitive to caffeine, you might want to opt for using a decaf coffee when preparing your coffee ice cream.
- When you crush your graham crackers, make sure to not break them down too much! You aren’t looking for them to be totally crushed into crumbs, but rather bite sized chunks!
- For the most amazing coffee crumble ice cream experience, use up to 1 cup total of each of the mix-ins! I like to reserve about 1/3 cup of each of the goodies to sprinkle on top of the ice cream.
- Homemade ice cream can be a little bit more difficult to scoop, but that’s an easy work around! All you have to do is let your ice cream soften on the counter ~5 minutes and it will be so much easier to scoop!
- For the best, most creamy results, be sure to eat your ice cream within 2 weeks and keep it tightly wrapped and covered in the freezer. After the 2 week mark, you’ll notice it will form more ice crystals and might be a tad grainy. Still totally fine to eat though!
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below!
Don’t forget to pin it on your Pinterest board for later, or tag me on IG @no.food.rules if you try the recipe and love it!
No Churn Coffee Crumble Ice Cream
- ¼ cup warm milk
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 1, 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup chopped cashews Additional for topping if desired, I’d recommend getting 1 cup!
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips Additional for topping if desired, I’d recommend getting 1 cup!
- 2/3 cup crushed graham crackers not pulverized, you want them to be visible chunks not dust (Additional for topping if desired, I’d recommend making 1 cup!)
- To heat your milk you can microwave it for 1 minute.
- Add 2 tbsp instant coffee to it and mix.
- Place it back in the fridge or freezer to cool fully.
- Next, pour your heavy whipping cream into a large bowl or stand mixer. Begin to mix on low then slowly increase speed.
- Mix for ~3 minutes until stiff peaks form and you’ve made whipped cream!
- In a separate large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, cooled instant coffee milk and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in your whipped cream to the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Do not stir this vigorously! You don’t want to reduce the air in the whipped cream.
- Mix this for ~2-3 minutes until totally uniform and no lumps of whipped cream are present.
- Now, fold in ⅔ cups each of cashews, mini chocolate chips and crushed graham crackers.
- Pour your ice cream into a ~6+ cup container (you can also use a loaf pan!).
- Top with up to ⅓ cup of each: cashews, mini chocolate chips & graham cracker pieces.
- Freeze for 8 hours.
- Once frozen, remove from the freezer and enjoy!
click To display nutrition info