Want to lead a healthier life? Start with happiness! Starting a happiness journal is an easy way to get feel better about your health with little effort on your part!
The Power Of Happy And Healthy
The happiness-health connection is something that is often overlooked, but is actually SO powerful! Happiness is actually connected to leading a longer, healthier life. And let's be real, a WAY more enjoyable one!
When you're happy you're more likely to:
- exercise in a way that feels good
- fuel your body with nourishing foods
- allows you to sleep better
And those are just a few of the benefits! Psychology today lists even more positive affects of happiness!
Take a second and pin this post to your health Pinterest board- you'll want to be able to come back to the 10 happiness journal prompts I am going to share with you!
Why Do You Need A Happiness Journal To Be Happy?
Can't you just...like... BE happier? Yes, you 180% CAN. But, it's a lot harder to do that than you think. Writing down your goals allows for faster success... 42% more success, actually. Just by writing! So easy.
There are so many things that happen during the day that can get us feeling blue. Someone cuts you off on your way to work, you forgot to get the timer for the coffee maker, or maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of the bed! It's so easy for these small things to get us in a crummy mood and it just snowballs. Your bad morning leads, to a bad afternoon, leads to a bad day. BUT, you can turn it around! Enter: the happiness journal.
Starting a happiness journal allows you to change the direction of your energy upwards, rather than dragging you down. It can remind you that you DO have the power over your emotions and feelings. You can CHOOSE to be happy. And you're more likely to be able to do that if you journal. 42% more likely, remember?!
This happiness will lead to more of those feel good choices that we all crave more of, but can be tough to get ourselves to do when we're feeling blue. HA! I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!
I mean, let's be real. If we're pissed off we're making mac n cheese for dinner to soothe us, we aren't touching a veggie with a 10 foot pole. And if we're sad? Heeeck no do we want to get out gym clothes on and sweat it out. We want our biggest pajamas and our fluffiest pillows.
Now, there is nothing wrong with feeling blue. We all do! That's normal. But the key is to not let it take over and spiral out of control, which it can totally do...FAST!
How To Start A Happiness Journal
Starting a happiness journal honestly couldn't be easier!
Step Number One
Go to target and get the cutest journal you can find. Or... just grab a random paper or napkin, that totally works too!
Step Number Two
WRITE! Write happy things.
Literally guys? That's it. But, if I know you at all and, I know I do. You're going to say "Colleen, I need more direction!" Did I totally just steal the words out of your mouth? Hehe, told ya I knew you. So, here you go:
Happiness Journal Prompts
I'd say try to jot in your happiness journal 5-7x per week, ideally. But you can totally start with a smaller for of, say, 3x per week. Make it realistic. You can do it in the moment or plan times, like in the morning or before bed. Simply free-write or use one of these prompts:
- Write down 3 good things that happened today. It can be as small as "Hey, I saw a dog today!" or "I liked my nail polish color"
- Reflect on a time when you received or preformed an act of kindness. How did this make you feel? Plan a time to do it again!
- What's your favorite memory from when you were growing up?
- What was one decision from the last day or week that made you happy? It could be as small as "I put on really great smelling hand lotion!"
- Think back to your favorite vacation. What was the best part and why?
- Look around the room and pick one thing you're grateful for. It would be the chair you're sitting in or even the light that is helping you see!
- Outline your ideal day. What are the things you'd do? How would you feel? Can you plan to do one of these things tomorrow?
- What is one thing you're looking forward to in the next week, month, or even year?
- What is the best compliment you've ever received?
- What is something you're really good at?
I also have a post on my top 10 intuitive eating affirmations, you can take a peek there and pull from those, too!
Sticking To A Happiness Journal Routine
Now the hard part... sticking to it! I'd recommend making the happiness journal part of your routine. Say, doing it in the morning as part of your morning routine, or before bed. Try to stay consistent. But remember, something is better than nothing. So, if all you have time to do it (or remember!) is when you're in the doctors office waiting room...totally fine! Just write!
Leave a comment with your favorite happiness journal prompt. Feel free to share new ones beyond this list! Take a peek down there and get even more ideas!
Cheers to a happier and healthier life!
Want more posts like this? You might like these: