This perfectly flaky and crispy air fryer tilapia recipe is so easy to make in less than 20 minutes! In just ten minutes, you will have tender flavorful tilapia ready to be enjoyed from either being thawed or frozen. Make this fish recipe with panko breadcrumbs or no breading at all and serve with fresh lemon and parsley!
Why This Recipe Works
This single-serving air fryer recipe for frozen or thawed tilapia is so easy to prepare for a quick nutritious dinner. Moist and flaky with natural seafood flavors, this crispy fish recipe is prepared with just salt and pepper for the freshest classic flavors!
I love to make this easy tilapia recipe two different ways: with and without breadcrumbs. Some delicious options include buttery and crispy panko breadcrumbs, seasoned cornmeal, plain with lemon pepper seasoning, and flaked over tortillas for simple fish tacos.
If you’ve ever wondered how long to cook tilapia in the air fryer–you have found your answer! You can enjoy this recipe using either thawed or frozen tilapia fillets. How easy is that?!
- One tilapia filet: Get your tilapia filet out of the freezer to prepare one of the easiest air fryer recipes out there! You will have perfectly moist and tender fish ready in minutes for a quick lunch or dinner.
- Salt and Pepper: A simple blend of sea salt and freshly cracked pepper allows this crispy tilapia to be full of classic bold flavors. You can even rub the tilapia filet with lemon pepper seasoning or paprika–mm.
- Nonstick Oil Spray: Either avocado or olive oil will work!
- Egg: One egg is used to create an egg wash for the tilapia to be dipped into the breadcrumbs.
- Breadcrumbs: I like panko but any kind of breadcrumbs will work!
- Garlic powder: Simple garlic powder is bold and savory enough to really allow the breading to shine for the tilapia.
- Onion powder: Robust onion powder blends well with the garlic powder and creates pungent aromatic flavors with crispy golden textures.
- Salt and pepper: Sea salt and black pepper are all you need to give the seasoning extra tasty flavors.
How to Make This Recipe
Step One: First, preheat the air fryer so it gets nice and toasty for the tilapia fillet! You will want to be sure to preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Meanwhile, season the tilapia with salt and pepper and whatever else you choose to season the fish with. The options are limitless!
Step Two: Once the air fryer has fully preheated, remove the basket from the air fryer and spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
Step Three: Place the tilapia fillet inside the hot air fryer basket and air fry the seafood for ten minutes total. Flip once.
Remove the cooked tilapia from the air fryer and serve with fresh lemon!
You will want to make sure the fish reaches an internal temperature of at least 400 degrees Fahrenheit to ensure the fish is fully cooked.
Absolutely! That’s what I love about this recipe so much is that you can cook this tilapia from frozen!
There are a ton of delicious options to pair with cooked tilapia such as fluffy rice, cauliflower rice, pasta, veggies like corn, sweet potatoes, green beans, asparagus, golden or Russet potatoes, quinoa, and more!
- Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for four days. Reheat in the air fryer or microwave until fully warmed.
- Serve with a savory buttery garlic sauce for extra yummy flavors.
- Use salmon, catfish, or cod in place of the tilapia.
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below!
Don’t forget to pin it on your Pinterest board for later, or tag me on IG @no.food.rules if you try the recipe and love it!
Air Fryer Tilapia Recipe
- 1 tilapia filet approx. 4 ounces
- salt and pepper
- non-stick spray
- Preheat your air fryer to 375 Degrees.
- While your air fryer is preheating you can season your tilapia with any spices you desire or leave it plain. If you’re going to break your tilapia you can also do that now.
- Once preheated, spray the air fryer basket with non-stick spray.
- Place your tilapia filet inside of the basket.
- Air fry for 10 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
click To display nutrition info