This protein-packed eggnog smoothie will not only start your day in a joyous holiday spirit but it’ll also keep you full all the way until lunch! It only takes 5 minutes and 6 ingredients to make!
Why This Recipe Works
I’m a big smoothie fan if you haven’t noticed from my banana protein shake and cranberry smoothie recipes. I love that they’re, well, so easy (that part is a given) but also that they’re SO versatile! You can really change up the flavors depending on the season. During the holiday’s I LOVE eggnog, which makes this eggnog protein shake that is high in protein and also fiber the PERFECT way to start my morning!
Ingredients For This Recipe
I have a few secret ingredients that I add to every smoothie I make that makes then SUPER thick and creamy… almost ice cream like! Here is the full ingredient list for this recipe:
- Protein powder. You can use any protein powder you like, I recommend vanilla flavor. I typically use this whey based Optimum Nutrition one!
- Milled/ground flax seed. This helps to add a little more fiber and fat into your smoothie, contributing to those feelings of fullness and satisfaction!
- Pudding mix. This is optional, but encouraged! I love adding a little pudding mix to my smoothies to make them ultra creamy and thicken them up even more. If you don’t have pudding mix you can also use some extra milled/ground flax seed. It’ll work similarly to add a little more thickness!
- Eggnog. Obviously! Now, you can really use whatever type of eggnog you want. I like to just use classic. I like that the addition of fat helps to keep me full. I know that there are things like “almond nog” out there which I don’t think is “bad”, per se. However, don’t feel like regular eggnog is too “unhealthy” (Remember what we talked about above?!) and the extra fat will probably keep you feeling full longer- a huge piece to why I LOVE this recipe. If you use a low-cal option, you probably won’t be full as long- just warning you!
How To Make This Recipe
Like any smoothie recipe, this eggnog smoothie recipe is insanely easy!
First, I recommend adding your ice, banana, protein powder, flax seed, pudding mix and nutmeg to a high powered blender. (I have had a Ninja blender and love it!)
Then, pour your eggnog over those ingredients. Place the lid on and blend away!
Now pour your delicious, creamy smoothie into a glass, top with more nutmeg if you like (and I like!) and sip away!
If you’re dairy free or vegan and want to make a vegan version you can. Here are the adjustments you’ll want to make:
1. Replace the pudding mix with more ground flax seed
2. Use a non-dairy eggnog alternative
3. I’d recommend adding in a tablespoon or two of nut butter, like cashew or almond for the most milk flavor, to add some fat to keep you feeling full
Use a vegan protein powder
Sure! If you don’t like using protein powder (maybe it upsets your tummy) or you just don’t have any on hand you can totally leave it out. I’d recommend adding a scoop of something like Greek yogurt to add some protein in there. Protein is a key piece in helping our bodies stay full and satisfied all morning.
Yep! Not everyone may have this on hand so if you don’t then no worries, just leave it out. Your smoothie might be a little thinner but it’ll still be great! I usually have some on hand for an egg replacer, like I use in my gooey vegan peanut butter blondies!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
If you give this eggnog smoothie recipe a try be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and a comment!
High Protein Eggnog Smoothie
- ~2 cups ice
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tsp pudding mix
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup Eggnog
- Add ice, banana, protein powder, flax seed, pudding mix and nutmeg to a blender.
- Pour your eggnog over ingredients into blender.
- Blend for 3-5 minutes until smooth & creamy
- Optional (but encouraged!) top with additional nutmeg!
click To display nutrition info