This quick and easy banana protein shake is the best! It tastes just like a frosty, is ready in just 5 minutes AND packs 30g of protein! Plus? The ingredients were hand picked by a Registered Dietitian and are sure to keep you full all morning long!
Why This Recipe Works
To be honest I used to be kinda anti-protein shakes and smoothies. I felt like I was much more of a "chewer" and drinking something just would NOT keep my full for long. Well.... turns out I was just making them wrong and they're actually very filling and insanely delicious!
Now, I make this banana protein shake SO often! It's got the perfect balance of carbs, protein (a whopping 30 grams!) and fat that leave me feeling satisfied, yes, but... guys? This thing is like ICE CREAM! Oh my gosh, it's amazing. The consistency is so insanely fluffy thanks to a few key secrets: using pudding mix and extra blending!
- Whole Milk: Using whole milk is key for this recipe, or any milk that has some fat in it. If you pick a non-fat milk I'd recommend adding some sort of fat in there to help keep you satisfied. Nut butter or even avocado would work!
- Protein powder: I like to use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. To me it tastes the best and it doesn't upset my stomach. Protein powder choices can be highly individualized though so do what works for you! My friend and fellow Registered Dietitian, Angie, from Eleat Nutrition has a great post on everything you need to know about protein powders- be sure to check that out for more info!
- Pudding Mix: Okay.. this one is random, I know... BUT hear me out here. Adding a touch of pudding mix makes this delish protein packed smoothie insanely thick and a touch sweeter, too. A lot of smoothie bars actually use this trick, too!
How To Make This Recipe
It's literally as easy as throwing all of the 5 ingredients into a blender. I have a Ninja that I am OBSESSED with. You can find the same Ninja Blender here. The quality of your blender will play a role in how your smoothie turns out. The better the blender you have the better your smoothie will be. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
The key here is when you think it's done... blend for an additional minute or so! This will ensure that there are NO chunks of ice and get your banana protein shake to be super fluffy!
Pour your homemade protein shake into a glass and enjoy!
I'm a BIG fan of topping this thick, creamy banana goodness with some granola, like my cinnamon pretzel granola.
Honestly, the key to a really thick smoothie is the banana. While you can add in other fruit, I wouldn't suggest taking out the banana! If you really need to try another fruit I'd recommend trying mango, it's another pretty "sturdy" fruit. Make sure it's frozen!
I'd suggest adding some greek yogurt in place of protein powder if you don't have any. Protein IS key to feeling full. And if you're using this as a post-workout snack your muscles are going to want some protein to help them recover from your workout.
The pudding mix is KEY here! Honestly, this protein shake doesn't taste super banana-y. It'll take on the flavor of the protein powder and the pudding mix.
Protein shakes can be a great way to get quick nutrition in... but I don't recommend having more than 1 a day at max. Even then, I'd recommend more whole foods.
Absolutely not! If you use only half of a banana you likely won't have the same result for your banana protein shake. The FULL banana is key here!
You can use a plant based protein powder. I do find that whey gets fluffier, but it will still work with plant based. You might want to add a touch extra pudding mix to thicken it to get it fluffier, or add a few extra frozen banana slices.
The best part of this banana protein shake is that it's SUPER customizable. Here are some variations that I like:
- Mocha Protein Smoothie: Use chocolate protein powder and/or pudding mix, add a heaping spoonful of cocoa powder, and ~2 tsp of instant coffee
- Chunky Monkey: Use chocolate protein powder and/or pudding mix, add a heaping spoonful of cocoa powder, and a heaping spoonful of peanut butter
- Cinnamon Peanut Butter: Add a heaping spoonful of peanut butter and a dash of cinnamon
- Banana Cream Pie: Use banana pudding mix and top with crushed graham cracker
Other Recipes You Might Like:
If you love this recipe be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and a comment below!
Want to learn more about intuitive eating and finding food freedom so that you too can feel comfortable enjoying ALL foods without guilt, stress or anxiety and in ways that feel good? Get started by taking this quiz which will give you a personalized workbook to stop dieting and get started!
- 2 cups ice
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 2 tsp vanilla pudding mix
- Place all ingredients in a large blender and blend until smooth.
Be sure to blend this smoothie extra- more than you think! That is how you get it nice and creamy.
You can sub any type of pudding mix flavor your like!
You can also omit the pudding mix if you don't have it on hand.
Using a FULL banana is key!
If you need to sub a fruit try a mango.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 123mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4gSugar: 22gProtein: 30g