If you want all of your chocolate dreams to come true, you have to try this no churn recipe for Mississippi Mud Pie ice cream! A creamy chocolate ice cream base is filled with swirls of chocolate sauce, chocolate chunks, and Oreo cookies. The perfect sweet treat for a hot Summer day!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you’re anything like me, you LOVE a cool, creamy sweet treat in the Summer months. Am I right!? Ice cream not only checks all the boxes for a yummy dessert, but it’s also incredibly easy to make at home thanks to my no churn method.
This easy recipe for Mississippi Mud Pie ice cream is soooo creamy dreamy, and an absolute cinch to make. No ice cream machine needed!
After combining the ingredients for the base, you just fold in some whipped cream, some crushed Oreo cookies, and chocolate chunks. Then, everything gets layered in a loaf pan with chocolate sauce swirls and a few extra cookie and chocolate chunks on top. Then, stick it in the freezer and you’re ready to enjoy just 8 hours later.
Chocolate is such a common craving, and for good reason! It’s rich, decadent, and is a good source of minerals like magnesium, iron, and copper. Some foods, like chocolate, are good for the soul and are an important part of an intuitive eating journey. It’s important to have those foods that comfort us, as well as foods that nourish us. In fact, that’s what gentle nutrition is all about!
- Sweetened condensed milk: This forms the base of the ice cream, and is the key ingredient for no churn ice creams! It makes for a super creamy, smooth texture with no eggs needed.
- Heavy cream: This gives a delectable mouthfeel and is an essential element of any homemade ice cream recipe.
- Milk: This lightens the base a little bit, so it has a balanced creaminess, similar to store bought ice creams.
- Chocolate pudding mix: Thickens the ice cream base and adds a yummy, chocolatey flavor!
- Chocolate syrup: Swirls of chocolate syrup, oh my! This makes your Mississippi Mud Pie ice cream extra gooey and chocolatey.
- Chocolate chunks: These are added to both the ice cream base AND sprinkled on top. Because too much chocolate just isn’t a thing.
- Oreo cookies: Make sure to chop or crush these into bite sized pieces. You don’t want them to be crumbs, but you don’t want them to be whole cookies either.
- Instant coffee: The secret to rich chocolate flavor is coffee! Don’t worry if you don’t like coffee, as the flavor isn’t super strong. It just enhances the chocolate flavor!
- Vanilla extract: A little bit of vanilla helps round out the flavors perfectly.
How to Make This Recipe
Step one: Warm the milk in the microwave for 1 minute. This is to help the coffee bloom!
Step two: Add the instant coffee granules and place in the fridge to chill.
Step three: Add the heavy whipping cream to the bowl of a stand mixer, OR a large bowl (if using an electric hand mixer).
Step four: Whisk for approximately 3 minutes, or until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
Step five: In a separate bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, the coffee and milk mixture, pudding mix, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
Step six: Add the whipped cream to the bowl and fold it in gently.
Step seven: Add the crushed Oreo cookies and chocolate chunks and fold them in until evenly distributed.
Step eight: Spread 1/3 of the ice cream mixture into a loaf pan or freezer safe container.
Step nine: Add 1/4 cup of chocolate sauce, and swirl it into the ice cream.
Step ten: Repeat this with another 1/3 of the ice cream, then another 1/4 cup of chocolate sauce, the remaining 1/3 of the ice cream, and finally more chocolate sauce.
Step eleven: Sprinkle with extra chocolate chunks and crushed Oreo cookies, and freeze for 8 hours.
Step twelve: Serve and enjoy your Mississippi Mud Pie ice cream!
Mississippi Mud is a decadent chocolate ice cream, flavored with a small amount of coffee. It features swirls of chocolate sauce, and chunks of chocolate and chopped Oreo cookies for the ultimate chocolate ice cream experience.
Mississippi Mud ice cream most often has a chocolate base (although some versions feature vanilla as well), and is filled with chocolate sauce, chocolate chunks, and chopped cookie OR cake pieces.
If you use an ice cream base with sweetened condensed milk (rather than a custard base), chances are your ice cream will be considerably more scoopable versus the alternative. BUT, if you want to make your ice cream extra silky and easy to scoop, add up to 1 tablespoon of alcohol (like Vodka) to the mixture. This will prevent it from freezing solid.
- Allow your ice cream to sit on the counter for a few minutes before scooping. This will allow it to thaw just a little, making it a little easier to grab a scoop (or two).
- If you want to soften your ice cream to make it ultra scoopable, consider adding a tablespoon of vodka to the the ice cream mixture. This will prevent it from freezing hard, making it a little bit easier to scoop.
- If you prefer not to use alcohol, you can also use up to 1 tablespoon of vegetable glycerin (food grade) to soften your ice cream. Just blend it into the base before mixing!
- I use Oreo cookies for this Mississippi Mud pie ice cream, but if you can’t find them you could use graham crackers or your favorite sandwich cookies. Just be sure to chop them up into bite-sized pieces.
If you love this recipe, be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below!
Don’t forget to pin it on your Pinterest board for later, or tag me on IG @no.food.rules if you try the recipe and love it!
No Churn Mississippi Mud Pie Ice Cream
- ½ cup warm milk
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 1, 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1, 3.9 oz box of chocolate pudding mix
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cup crushed Oreos + 2 tbsp
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks + 2 tbsp
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup + 1 tbsp
- To heat your milk you can microwave it for 1 minute. Add 2 tbsp instant coffee to it and mix. Place it back in the fridge or freezer to cool fully.
- Next, pour your heavy whipping cream into a large bowl or stand mixer. Begin to mix on low then slowly increase speed. Mix for ~3 minutes until stiff peaks form and you’ve made whipped cream!
- In a separate large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, cooled instant coffee milk, chocolate pudding mix, and vanilla extract.
- Gently fold in your whipped cream to the sweetened condensed milk mixture. Do not stir this vigorously! You don’t want to reduce the air in the whipped cream. Fold until mixture is uniform.
- Next, fold in 1.5 cups crushed Oreos and ½ cup chocolate chunks
- Now, fill your ice cream container. Pour 1/3 of your ice cream mixture into a ~6+ cup container (you can also use a loaf pan!). Now, add ¼ cup of chocolate sauce and then use a knife to gently swirl it in. Repeat this process: ⅓ of the ice cream, ⅓ of the chocolate sauce, swirl, repeat! You’ll end with the chocolate sauce. Then you’ll add 1-2 tbsp crushed cookies, 1-2 tbsp of chocolate chunks and 1 tbsp of chocolate syrup. Press everything down slightly.
- Freeze for 8 hours.
- Once frozen, remove from the freezer and enjoy!
click To display nutrition info
Leave a Reply