These peanut butter rice krispie bars are a classic childhood favorite given a delicious twist that take just 10 minutes to prep! These fuss-free treats are perfect to bring to any occasion since they're a total crowd pleaser and they travel super well!
Why This Recipe Works
Rice Krispie bars are a classic no-fail treat. And while I totally DO love them sometimes they're just a little.... boring. Ya know? I mean usually I want a little more flavor, a little more pizazz, a little more interest in my dessert. So... I gave your typical this typical, classic treat a glow-up!
These peanut butter rice krispie bars are the BOMB.COM if I do say so myself. They're packed with peanut butter-y flavor while still giving you the classic nostalgia of a traditional rice krispie treat.
Plus, when you top them with a little flaky sea salt they totally feel like a super fancy delicacy. A true grown-up peanut butter rice krispie treat!
Peanut butter rice krispie treats are like an easier version of my "scotcheroos" or "Special K Bars" recipe. Except those bars are made with slightly different ingredients and have layer of chocolate butterscotch on top!
And, I'll also just tell you right now, if you're here because you're a peanut butter lover like myself, you MUST try my small batch peanut butter cookies and my chewy almond flour peanut butter cookies!
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- Peanut Butter. I usually use JIF-style peanut butter for these peanut butter rice krispie bars. It's thicker and will have more "hold". You can use natural peanut butter but depending on how runny yours is they might not be as hard of an end result. (If you're wondering what the difference between these two are checkout my blog post on peanut butter with and without palm oil... i.e. the JIF stuff VS natural!)
How To Make This Recipe
First, lightly spray a 9x9 baking pan with non-stick spray, then create a "sling" with parchment paper (good visual of how to create a parchment paper sling here) and then lightly spray again with parchment paper. This will ensure that your peanut butter rice krispie squares come out nice and easy!
Now, in a large pot melt together the butter and marshmallows, stirring continuously.
Once butter and marshmallows are totally melted and the mixture is uniform, remove from heat and add in your peanut butter and vanilla, mixing well.
Next, fold in your rice krispie cereal into the warm peanut butter marshmallow mixture. Continue folding until it is evenly coated. Be careful not to do this too aggressively, you don't want to totally crush your rice krispies!
Pour your warm, coated rice krispies into the prepared baking dish and press down lightly so they are in one even layer.
Top with a pinch of flaky sea salt and lightly press down over the top of the bars, so the sea salt sticks.
Allow the bars to cool fully, then spray a large knife with non-stick spray and cut your peanut butter rice krispie treats into squares. I like to make mine nice and big, so I cut them in to 9 squares, but you can totally do smaller! Enjoy!
Absolutely! I love making fun rice krispie treats! Well, they aren't really rice krispie treats if you don't use rice krispies, are they? I love doing captain crunch, cocoa pebbles or even corn flakes would work!
If you want to sub out the butter you could try coconut oil. I haven't tested this but I bet it would work. You can also find vegan marshmallows, like the ones from Trader Joe's! Then, obviously check your cereal to make sure that is vegan, whatever kind you decide on!
You can store your peanut butter rice krispie bars in an airtight container for 5-7 days. You can totally also throw them in the freezer for a few months, however mine never make it that far. HAHA!
You can use natural peanut butter but depending on how runny yours is they might not be as hard of an end result.
To make your peanut butter rice krispie treats into SUPER clean squares here are a few tips & tricks I've learned:
- Be sure you allow them to FULLY harden before cutting. You can pop them in the freezer for 20 minutes if you're impatient- just don't let them totally freeze!
- Use a VERY sharp knife when cutting
- Spray your knife with non stick spray between each cut! Really, it works!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
If you love this recipe be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and a comment below!
- 7 cups Rice Krispie Cereal (Original)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1, 10z bag marshmallows (ideally mini marshmallows)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of flaky sea salt
- Prepare a 9x9 baking dish by first spraying with non-stick spray, then lining with 2 pieces of parchment paper to create a "sling" (You will cross these over each other) and then spray again lightly with non-stick spray.
- In a large pot melt the butter and peanut butter together.
- Then, add in the marshmallows and vanilla, stir continuously allow them to fully melt.
- Next, fold in you Rice Krispie cereal and continue doing so until it is covered evenly. Be gentle, as to not crush the cereal.
- Pour your warm Rice Krispie mixture into your prepared baking pan and press down lightly.
- Top with flaky sea salt and press down gently again so that it sticks.
- Place your treats in the fridge for 1+ hours until firm.
- To cut, spray a large knife with non-stick spray and cut into 9 squares. May cut into smaller bars, if desired.
May sub other puffed rice cereals or really any kind of cereal!
I'd recommend using "JIF style" peanut butter. If you use natural your bars may not be as firm depending on how runny your peanut butter is.
I like to make mine really big, so I cut into 9 squares, you can do smaller if you like.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 6g