Chocolate and peanut butter come together perfectly in these easy, no bake special K bars! Also called "scotcheroos" these are like a fancy, sophisticated version of a rice krispy treat!
Growing up my mom made these special k bars every time we would go to the lake in the summer. I looked forward to eating these just as much as I looked forward to running down the Lake Michigan sand dunes and right into the water... they're THAT good! Pure nostalgia.
What You'll Need To Make Special K Bars
There are only a few ingredients that you need to make this easy chocolate & peanut butter treat:
- Special K cereal (original, can also use rice krispy cereal)
- Corn syrup
- Peanut butter
- Chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
How To Make Chocolate & Peanut Butter "Scotcheroos"
- In a saucepan heat the corn syrup and sugar until it begins to bubble.
- Remove the sugar mixture from heat and stir in the peanut butter until melted and combined well.
- Next, fold in the Special K cereal making sure to coat it evenly with the peanut butter mixture.
- Press the Special K mixture into an 8x8 baking dish that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick spray.
- In the microwave melt together the chocolate and butterscotch chips, mixing well.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture over top of the cereal in one even layer.
- Allow bars to cool fully before cutting into 16 squares.
Special K Bars FAQ's
Can I use another cereal for these bars?
Yes! Get creative! You can use any puffed rice cereal, like rice krispies. You could even use cocoa pebbles for an extra chocolatey treat! You can also use any of your fave gluten free cereals for gluten free scotcheroos.
Do I have to use butterscotch chips?
You can use all regular chocolate chips if you want or don't have any, but I love the butterscotch addition! You can also get creative and use dark or white chocolate, too.
How do I store these?
You can store these in an air tight container for up to a week right on the counter, or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Can I use another type of nut butter?
Yes! You can use whatever kind of nut or seed butter you prefer or that might fit your allergy needs.
Give this recipe for special k bars a try and be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe and a comment if you love them!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 3 cups Special K Original cereal
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- In a medium saucepan combine sugar and corn syrup over medium heat.
- Allow mixture to cook until bubbling, stirring frequently.
- Once sugar mixture is uniform (no sugar lumps!) and has begun to bubble, remove the saucepan from heat and add peanut butter, mixing until well combined.
- Next, add cereal to the peanut butter mixture right away while it is still very warm. Coat evenly.
- Press cereal mixture into prepared 8x8 pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt together the chocolate & butterscotch chips. To do this microwave on high for ~2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir, being careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Mix chips together when they are melted until uniform and pour over the cereal mixture in one even layer.
- Allow bars to full cool, may also place in the fridge to quicken this process.
- Cut bars once fully cooled and hardened into 16 squares.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
May sub rice krispy cereal for Special K
If you can't find butterscotch chips you can use all chocolate, however I highly recommend using a mix!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 22gProtein: 3g
Want more recipes like this one? You might like these: