This pesto turkey sandwich is perfectly toasted and full of classic flavors that you love in this crispy sandwich! Cheesy mozzarella is melted and stacked between layers of pesto, arugula, and mushrooms–yumm!
Why This Recipe Works
Do you ever just get a craving for a hearty sandwich that hits the spot in the best ways? This toasted turkey pesto sandwich recipe delivers warm flavors that are perfectly tied together by your favorite bread like ciabatta or dinner rolls.
Made in minutes, you’ll have an easy lunch or dinner recipe ready to be fully enjoyed! Serve this turkey pesto panini with your favorite soup or homemade chips. There are so many great ways to enjoy this classic sandwich recipe.
Want to eat this turkey pesto sandwich cold? Go for it! It’s just as good!
Incorporate this sandwich into your intuitive eating habits when you want to treat yourself to a nice and delicious meal that is cheesy and full of protein.
- Pesto: Pesto is a key ingredient this recipe and you can use either homemade or storebought pesto!
- Bread: My favorite bread to use for this recipe is ciabata rolls, but you can use any kind of bread that creates a perfect crisp.
- Arugula: Fresh arugula is peppery and a great addition to this versatile turkey pesto sandwich.
- Turkey: I used sliced turkey breast to get the best tender flavors!
- Mozzarella: Full-fat mozzarella is what I use for this sandwich because it melts in the perfect way. Feel free to omit if you’re dairy-free.
- Mushroom Slices: Mini bella mushrooms are neutral and easy to slice for this sandwich. They taste amazing with the peso and melted cheese!
- Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise is used for toasting the bread. Feel free to substitute with butter or oil, but the results will not be the same! Mayonnaise makes the bread extra crispy.
How to Make This Recipe
This turkey and pesto sandwich is not only filled with tasty flavors but it’s so easy to make, too! In less than 20 minutes, you’ll have a hearty meal ready to go!
Step One: First, heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
Step Two: While the skillet is heating, assemble the sandwich by adding ½ of the pesto onto one side of the bun or bread. Next, add the arugula, followed by the turkey, mozzarella, then the mushroom slices.
Spread the remaining pesto onto the remaining bun and place it on top of the sandwich.
Step Three: Spread one teaspoon of mayo on top of the sandwich and place the mayo side down onto the hot pan or skillet. Place another warm skillet on top and allow it to cook for three to four minutes.
Step Four: Next, add the remaining teaspoon of mayonnaise to the bottom of the sandwich and flip it to cook on the other side for another three to four minutes.
Remove the sandwich from the heat and enjoy.
I love to pair full-fat mozzarella cheese with my turkey sandwich recipe, but you can use provolone, gouda, cheddar, swiss, etc.
The toasted turkey pesto panini from Starbucks is made with pesto, turkey, red peppers, and provolone cheese!
Turkey is super versatile and great to pair with a lot of things from potatoes, salads, fresh or sautéed vegetables, soups, etc.!
- Any crusty bread will work such as sourdough or even soft breads like croissants!
- Fat-free or low-fat cheese will not melt as well so it is best to stay with the full-fat cheese.
- Easily double or triple this recipe to make more sandwiches.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
If you love this recipe be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and a comment below!
Want to learn more about intuitive eating and finding food freedom so that you too can feel comfortable enjoying ALL foods without guilt, stress, or anxiety and in ways that feel good? Get started by taking this quiz which will give you a personalized workbook to stop dieting and get started!
Toasted Pesto Turkey Sandwich
- 1 ciabatta bread or rolls
- ~¼ cup arugula
- 3 ounces turkey breast
- 1 ounces mozzarella cheese full fat
- ~4 mini bella mushroom slices
- 1-2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 teaspoons mayo
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- While grill pan/skillet is heating, assemble your sandwich by doing the following: first spread ½ of your pesto onto one side (the inside) of your bun/bread. Next add arugula, followed by turkey, then the mozzarella, then mushroom slices. Spread the remaining pesto onto the remaining bun (the inside) and place on top.
- Spread 1 tsp mayo onto the top of the sandwich and place mayo side down onto the hot grill pan/skillet. I like to place another heavy skillet on top then allow it to cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the remaining tsp of mayo to the bottom (currently facing up) of the sandwich and flip it to cook on the other side for another 3-4 minutes)
- Remove your sandwich and enjoy!
click To display nutrition info