Warm gingerbread cake in a mug is delightful, festive, and is filled with rich flavors such as ginger, nutmeg, and molasses. This Christmas mug cake is perfect for whenever you just want to treat yourself!
Why This Recipe Works
Soft, moist, and rich in flavors of brown sugar and clove, this warm gingerbread in a mug cake recipe is pure magic in a cup. Serve this easy spiced mug cake with a glass of chilled milk or whipped cream for an extra layer of essence and yumminess!
Ready in less than ten minutes, you will be ready to dig into this warm and spicy eggless mug cake with a spoon in no time! If you like chewy gingerbread cookies or anything related to gingerbread, then you will adore this gooey single-serving cake.
I love to make this recipe during the holidays because gingerbread and cooler temperatures go together perfectly! What better way is there to get into the festive spirit than this easy cake recipe?
The first thing I emphasize in my intuitive eating program is that we should eat what we want when we want it. This easy microwave mug cake recipe is not only sweet and delicious, but it just makes you feel good, too. We should enjoy food!
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour because it is easy to use and makes this gingerbread mug cake perfectly fluffy and soft.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar is rich, sweet, and allows this cake to be super moist. Who likes dry cake?!
- Spices: Nutmeg, clove, and ginger are used to give this gingerbread recipe all of its amazing qualities. Use ground spices to make it easier to work with!
- Molasses: The key element to gingerbread, molasses is a dark sweetener that is commonly used in gingerbread recipes to give it extra sweetness and flavor.
- Milk: Just a little bit of milk is needed to make the cake batter. Use any kind of milk you would like!
- Oil: Oil is used rather than butter to make this cake extra soft. Use any kind of vegetable oil you have on hand.
How to Make This Recipe
This mug cake is perfect for whenever you want gingerbread all to yourself or you can easily prepare several mug cakes to treat loved ones or guests!
Step One: First, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, spices, and baking powder.
Step Two: Next, add the molasses, milk, and oil. Gently mix all of the ingredients together until you have an even and consistent batter.
Step Three: Next, take a small ramekin (I used four ounces) and spray it with nonstick spray or grease it with butter.
Step Four: Finally, microwave the mug cake for one minute and 15 seconds. Allow the cake to cool and top it with powdered sugar. Mmm!
Serve this cake with your favorite ice cream, fresh fruit, whipped cream, or just keep it plain!
With only a few easy steps and basic pantry ingredients, gingerbread mug cake is so easy to make. Grease the mug with oil or butter and mix all of the ingredients. Microwave for a little over a minute and enjoy!
If you would like, sprinkle a little bit of water on top of the cake ingredients before baking to ensure the top stays moist and even.
Are you sure you used enough sugar and used baking powder rather than baking soda? Baking soda can have a very bitter taste to it!
You can use a couple of different mugs in the microwave such as ceramic or glass. I do not recommend using plastic or metal.
- For a gluten-free cake, be sure to use a 1:1 gluten-free baking flour in place of the all-purpose flour.
- Use either dark or light brown sugar for this gingerbread in a mug.
- Keep this cake vegan by using dairy-free milk.
- Use vegetable, canola, or melted coconut oil.
- Be sure not to overheat the cake or it will be dry.
- Double this recipe by doubling the ingredients in another container.
If you love these fluffy oat flour pancakes, be sure to leave a star rating on the recipe card and leave a comment below telling me what your favorite pancake topping is!
Don't forget to pin it your Pinterest board for later, or tag me on IG @no.food.rules if you try the recipe and love it!
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon clove
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons oil (I used vegetable oil- could also use canola or melted coconut oil)
- ~½-1 teaspoon powdered sugar for dusting on top (optional but encouraged!)
In a small bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, ginger, clove, baking powder and nutmeg.
Now add the molasses, milk and oil. Mix it all together until you have an even consistency batter.
Take a small ramekin (I used a 4oz ramekin), spray it with non-stick spray and pour batter into it.
Microwave your mug cake for 1 minute and 15 seconds.
Allow it to cool slightly then add a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 285Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g
Nutrition info is provided for Google. You get to determine what your portion size is each and every day. There is no right or wrong.